Thursday, September 2

Cantaloupe and blueberry salad


Ever see a recipe and know that you need to make it as soon as possible, even before all the other recipes that you have already lined up? That's what happened when I saw this cantaloupe and blueberry salad over at Indian Simmer

New melon baller...

The preparation was so simple, but it looked so elegant; I had to make it that night to serve with dinner.  I was so excited, I even bought a melon baller.

Don't hate on our soccer ball bowls!


Cantaloupe and blueberry salad
Adapted from Indian Simmer

I made a few changes to the original recipe, which are reflected here.  Mainly, I nixed the red pepper flakes and toasted almonds; feel free to add those if you'd like.  Next time, I would probably add toasted walnuts or pecans for some crunch.  I only used half of a cantaloupe for the salad, which was more than enough as a side dish split between the two of us.  If you want to make it a main dish for lunch, etc., use an entire melon and double the ingredients. 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 medium size cantaloupe
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp salt*
  • 1/2 - 1 tbsp lemon juice*
  • 1 tbsp chopped sweet basil leaves (mint would also be good)

Directions:

Using a melon baller, scoop out bite sized pieces of cantaloupe, reserving the melon shell.  Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl (I let it sit for an hour or so in the fridge to let the flavors meld).  Serve the salad in the reserved melon bowl. 

*Note: If you decrease the lemon like I did, be sure to decrease the salt like I didn't; it will balance the flavors a bit more.

3 comments:

  1. I saw in a comment you wrote that you are in Florida. Me too! I am in the Jax/St Augustine area. Love this salad as blueberries are my all time fav!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey fellow Floridian! Glad you like the salad - it's a breeze to make.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...