Thursday, May 20

Nut and Yogurt bread

Breads are a perfect way to get carbs at almost any meal.  The same bread can be used, all you have to do is change the topping; butter, jam, pesto, hummus, etc. can all serve as garnish.  I've been wanting to introduce more breads into my baking repertoire, but I have yet to conquer my irrational fear of yeast.  This recipe seemed like a good start to making 'real' bread.  Technically, it's a quick bread.  It looks and tastes like 'real' bread but there was no yeast involved.


I did run  into a few problems with baking this bread.  First, there were some weird conversions from weight to volume, but a scale would have solved that right quick.  Then, it took a lot longer - almost double the time - to bake than the recipe specified; this could have been because I kept opening the oven door, marveling that there was 'real' bread in my oven.  Next time, I'll keep the door shut! 

Nut and Yogurt Bread

Ingredients:
  • 1.9 cups (250g) all purpose flour
  • 1.8 cups (250 g) whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • Handful of toasted nuts (I used walnuts)
  • 300ml Greek Yogurt*
  • 125ml Semi Skimmed Milk*
Directions:

Preheat oven to 450.  In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients, mix thoroughly, knead for a few minutes on a floured surface and form into a flattish round ball.  Oil a baking sheet and place the bread on it, making a few slashes in the top. Bake for 25 - 30 mins - it should sound hollow when the base is tapped.

*I chose to go with the milliliter measurements because when I tried to convert them, the values were very wonky - think 1.56cups.  Since I have liquid measuring cups that list both milliliter and cup measurements, it was just easier.  You could do a conversion search to get the exact values, but I encourage you to stick with the milliliters.

Veganizing: I'm sure you could make this vegan by subbing nondairy yogurt or sour cream and 'milk.'  Greek yogurt is fairly thick, so I would imagine nondairy sour cream would be a better substitution, but if you wanted to do a little extra, you could strain your nondairy yogurt.

3 comments:

  1. i JUST bought greek yogurt for the first time ever yesterday. this recipe looks great. will definitely have to try it out sometime. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so i made this and it was..... Good! It was a little dense but i like it that way. I am not used to making bread withour yeast and without rising. I will make it again.... Yumm!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...